Friday, July 8, 2011

Slow Down

Well, today I went to the McLennan County Courthouse to pay the fine for a ticket I got about two weeks ago. I was disappointed, first of all, that I received a ticket. I've been pulled over lots of times and always been able to talk my way out of it. This time, though, it was a lady cop, and those women can be quite mean. It really was a shame. I was only a block from home and, in my opinion, I wasn't really speeding, since I was just following the guy in front of me going the same speed. Mostly I was just velocitating, which is a fancy word for what happens after you get off the highway and it feels like you're going much slower than you actually are. Anyways, I paid the fine, and, needless to say, I drove home from the courthouse going much slower than I usually would on these sleepy little Waco streets.

Slowing down seems to be the theme of these days. After the craziness of Jack's birth, Lauren's wedding, and a big Agee family reunion has finally passed, Aaron and I are sitting at home contemplating the next month of joblessness and deciding with bills we will default on before I start getting paid in August. Aaron has had some good leads, including an interview to be a youth pastor here in Waco, which would be very exciting! He keeps plugging away at the resumes and the cover letters. His resilience and good attitude always amaze me. Meanwhile I'm trying to recover from whatever sickness it is that struck me Tuesday night. Fever, headache, earache, and, most of all, a hard-to-swallow, hard-to-breathe, white-spotted sore throat that is scaring me a little bit with its resemblance to strep throat. This means lots of sleep, hundreds of cups of tea, and gargling with salt water every few hours in order to avoid having to go to the doctor, seeing as how our insurance ran out the first of July.

Anyways, I think it's good for me to slow down a little bit. I'm trying to be thankful for this time we get to spend together. I'm really so thankful for the place we have to live and the hope we have for jobs not too far off. It's only a little over a month before I start school, and I'm super thankful for that. But for now, I will just slow down and trust God to provide strength and courage to face each day and the challenges each day holds.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this, as I know from my own experiences it is not easy to start out. We also passed through a very difficult time financially a few months back and we are still just getting I can relate to this, as I know from my own experiences it is not easy to start out. We also passed through a very difficult time financially a few months back and we are still just getting back on our feet. Something that has helped us with our budget is going to a food distribution in our area. It is similar to a food pantry. We volunteer a little, and we get a box of healthy food for $5. I encourage you to look into what your area offers, if you have not yet looked into this... I also can relate because my husband has struggled with his job too.

    It is amazing how much God teaches us when we lean on him for strength and guidance. (Proverbs 3:5-6) Slowing down is also a blessing. Enjoy it! I'm praying that you have a speedy recovery and that Aaron is encouraged as he is in the process of finding the right job.

    Blessings in Christ

    P.S. You are a great writer! :)

    ReplyDelete