Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Waiting for Daisy

This week I read a heartwarming book called Waiting for Daisy: A Tale of Two Continents, Three Religions, Five Infertility Doctors, an Oscar, an Atomic Bomb, a Romantic Night, and One Woman's Quest to Become a Mother. It was the amazing story of the infertility of Peggy Orenstein, and I recommend it to all. It would also be a great reading group book. For me, what struck me about this book was her brutal honesty about the importance of wisdom in youth. Throughout the book, this late-thirties/early-forties year-old must deal with the fact that the choice she made not to have children in her youth affected her ability to have them once she actually wanted to. In the epilogue she comes to the conclusion that


It touched me. It is quite the challenge, to dream and hope for the future. I am struck by my need to "reckon with my dreams" not yet fulfilled, to find a wisdom beyond my years in order to look back before I move forward. Where do I find the courage to never regret? And how do I live my life in a way that I do not regret. Anyone who knows me knows that I have lots of ideas and visions, WAY more than I could ever actually fulfill. Pray for me, and pray for us, as we decide what to do, when to do it, and how to live with no regrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment